Average cost of a Knee Replacement in Australia is $13,285
An average round-trip flight from the United States to Australia costs $1,215
Hotel and Food: $158/day
Average cost of hotels and food in Australia is $158/day
The average total cost for a Knee Replacement in Australia is $15,606, which includes flights, a seven-day hotel stay, and food. Compared to the cost in the United States, you could save an average of 51.62%.
All prices are calculated in USD for convenience.
This page may contain affiliate links. For more information, see our disclosure policy.
Step 1: Compare Costs
The first step in finding the best healthcare deal around the world involves carefully comparing different providers. You want to find a provider that’s not too expensive. But still reputable, safe, and highly rated, so you get a great deal without giving up anything important.
TravelCare+ will soon let you request free quotes from different countries. In the meantime, use our database of average prices as a reference when choosing the right international healthcare provider.
Step 2: Book Flight
The next step is booking a flight. You can choose your favorite airline or use Trip.com to compare at prices from different airlines to find the best deal.
You have the power to choose what fits your needs and budget.
Check current deals on flights to Australia or nearby cities:
Step 3: Accommodation
After booking your flight, it’s time to book a hotel in advance. Don’t forget to plan for additional food costs, so you know what to expect when you get there.
Similar to airlines, you can either stick with your preferred international hotel or compare accommodation costs to find the best deal.
Step 4: Visa and Insurance
Visa and insurance costs can change based on your specific needs. Make sure to budget for these when planning your trip.
Step 5: Return Home
Once your procedure is done, it’s time to return home. Enjoy the added perk of exploring a new country while saving potentially thousands on healthcare.
What is Medical Tourism?
Medical tourism is traveling to another country for healthcare. It’s not a vacation; the main goal is medical treatment. Here’s what you should know:
Medical tourists might go abroad for various reasons, such as:
- Dental Care: For procedures related to teeth.
- Cosmetic Surgery: For enhancing appearance.
- Elective Surgery: Choosing to have surgery for non-life-threatening issues.
- Fertility Treatments: Help with having a baby.
- New Procedures: Some travel for new medical treatments not found at home.
- Familiar Care: Choosing a doctor who understands their culture or language.
- Cost Savings: Often more affordable for US citizens as treatments abroad may cost less.
Why Medical Tourism?
Medical tourism allows people to find the care they need, possibly at a lower cost or in a more comfortable setting. Whether seeking specialized treatments or more standard procedures, millions are exploring this option around the world. It’s a way to access different healthcare choices, save money, or find care that feels right for the individual.
Procedure Cost: $13,285
A Knee Replacement costs an average of $13,285 in Australia, compared to an average of $27,458 in the United States.
Flight: $1,215 (Roundtrip)
A round-trip flight to Australia costs an average of $1,215, assuming the flight is booked a few months in advance.
Australia is a great place to visit, but it can get crowded during the summer. Here’s how you can have a great trip without spending too much:
When to Visit Australia – Best Times and Tips:
Want Great Weather? Try Spring or Autumn:
- Spring: September to November.
- Autumn: March to May.
- These months have nice weather, and it’s not too crowded or expensive.
Want to Save Money? Try Winter:
- Winter: June to August.
- This is the cheapest time to visit, but it’s the coldest.
Hot or Cold? Here’s What to Expect:
- Hottest Months: December, January, February.
- Coldest Months: June, July, August.
Watch Out for the Wet Season in the North:
- Wet Season: November to April.
- Very hot days, lots of rain, and sometimes big storms called cyclones.
- Visit in spring or autumn for the best weather.
- Winter is the cheapest time but be ready for cold.
- If you’re going to the north, avoid the wet season.
On average, expect to spend $123 per day on hotels and accommodation.
If you’re going to Australia, you’ll need a place to stay! Here’s a few quick tips to help you book a hotel and what to know about tipping while you’re there:
Booking Your Hotel
- Reserve the First Nights: Make sure to book at least the first night or two, so you have a place to stay.
- Call the Hotel: You can call the hotel directly to book your room.
- Use a Hotel Website: Many hotels let you book right from their website.
- Get a Confirmation Number: Write down or print the number they give you when you book online. It’s like a receipt to prove you booked the room.
- Compare prices using Trip.com or Hotellook: Find over 1.4 million hotel options worldwide with Trip.com or over 1.1 million accommodation options with Hotellook. Browse great deals and book online for cheaper rates. Experts say Saturday is best for domestic bookings, Thursday or Friday for international. Prices may decline the longer you wait.
Expect to spend an average of $35 per day on food in Australia.
Getting a Australia visa – Easy Steps:
If you’re planning to visit Australia, you’ll need a visa. Here’s what you need to know:
How to Apply:
To get a visa to Australia as an American, you can apply for an Australian Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). It’s all online, so you don’t need to visit an embassy. Here’s how to apply:
- Download the Australian ETA app on your smartphone.
- Fill out the visa application form.
- Pay the processing fee.
- Upload the needed documents.
- You might be asked for more documents depending on why you’re visiting.
- Apply at least a couple of days before you go. It can take up to 24 hours to get your visa.
The ETA lets US citizens stay in Australia for up to 90 days at a time for fun or business.
What You Need:
For the tourist visa, you will need:
- A passport that’s good for at least 6 more months when you enter Australia.
- To not owe money to the Australian government.
- To not have a criminal record or a past arrest.
Once you have applied, you’ll get your ETA which allows you to visit Australia for tourism or business.
Make sure to apply early and have everything ready so you don’t run into any problems.
Total Cost: $15,606
The average total cost you could expect to spend traveling to Australia for a Knee Replacement:
Assuming a 7-day trip, hotel and food costs are multiplied by 7 to give you a full picture of your weekly expenses.
- Procedure Cost: $13,285 (USD)
- Flight: $1,215
- Hotel: $123/day
- Food: $35/day
- Total Cost: $15,606